Translate

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bijou's Gas


My guinea pig Bijou developed a sizable lump on her side. I thought maybe she ate a bunch of bedding. If it’s not that, it’s a tumor. 
I put Bijou in her travel carrier, and sorrowfully brought her to the vet.  I dreaded tumor news, after that it’s just a matter of quality of life to deteriorate. Then I’d have to put her to sleep, on Christmas, in a rainstorm.The vet sat there with Bijou in his hands, squeezing the lump.   

He tells me its gas.

There’s a blockage, and it’s filling my pig with gas. I pay 80 bucks for medication to make her fart. My husband and I buy Metamucil. She likes the Metamucil, but hates the medication. We have to force feed it to her in a syringe, it’s like a German snuff film.
She’s not expelling this gas.

I feel bad, she must be in discomfort. We took her to the vet again, to be told not to give her the medication the vet prescribed as it may cause more gas.
We are encouraged to feed her yogurt with pineapple or papaya or something. So here I am mashing papaya and pineapple juice into yogurt, so we can syringe feed her. Which she loves, she wheeks and wheeks bloody murder because yogurt is all she seems to want now. No force feedings, the pudgy little terror tries to wrestle the syringe from my hand. 

My husband read online that holding the pig upside down might cause the gas to move around. I didn’t like the idea, but it’s been 2 weeks and I’m desperate. I’ve always loved animals. I always thought maybe I might have a career in veterinary care or animal rescue or something. Instead I’m holding a pig upside down saying “Fart dammit!”

So far there is no gas coming from this pig. I’m starting to worry the lump will fill up so huge that she will lift off the ground and float away.

Hmm, I don’t like that scenario. I much rather think she will finally pass this infernal gas and that it will make her very happy.  

No comments: